Sunday, July 3, 2011

Feeling a bit Martha Stewart+






Yesterday I think I made the yummiest chocolate cupcakes I have ever made. On a whim I decided to 'destress' in my favourite fashion in the kitchen - with no eggs in the cupboard, I went to my trusty google to search for an egg free recipe and this is what we came up with!








Ever so moist egg-free chocolate cupcakes.









  • Cupcakes:




  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour




  • 1 c. sugar




  • 1/4 c. baking cocoa




  • 1 tsp. baking soda




  • 1/2 tsp. salt




  • 1 c. water




  • 1/3 c. vegetable oil




  • 1 Tbs. white vinegar




  • 1 tsp. vanilla




  • Icing:




  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened




  • 3 tablespoons milk or soymilk




  • 1 teaspoon vanilla




  • 3 cups confectioners’ sugar




  • food coloring (optional)




How to make it


















· For cupcakes: Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix well. Fill paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Makes 12.





· For icing: In a bowl, beat together the butter, milk/soymilk and vanilla until smooth (about 3 minutes). Add in confectioners sugar; beat very well until smooth, adding more if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Add in food coloring (if desired) and mix well. ---





They were so super easy.... with the icing I substituted the milk for Orange juice and some orange peel so we had a jaffa cake, my husband went bananas for it!





Next I made a potato and leek soup. This is a recipe that has been in my family for years and it brings back warm memories of crisp Sunday afternoons, the open fire and Potato and Leek soup. My mum wasn't the best cook, but this is certainly one of the best potato and leek soups I have ever devoured!





1/2 Tbs Olive Oil





1-2 Leeks





4 rashers of Bacon





1L campbells chicken stock





1-2 cups water





4-5 large potatoes





1/2-1 cup cream





pepper/nutmeg





Sweat leeks with bacon in oil (low heat 5-10 mins). Add water and stock (bring to boil). Add potatoes. Simmer for an hour or so. Cool mixture. Puree in blender or food processor. Return to gentle heat, flavour with pepper and nutmeg, stir thru cream...served sprinkled with chives - chopped.







No comments: